Victoria’s Biscuit Maker

Click for full size

Introduction
Queen Victoria visited here on 23rd December 1876 - the year she became Empress of India. A smart Mr Romary stands behind the mahogany counter, with Royal orders shown below. Mirrors lined walls, with white cane chairs for tastings. Biscuits came in tins plus bags of broken ones on Fridays. An added plaque shows The Royal Arms.

click for full size

Hazle Ceramics
A Romary & Co
on Tunbridge Wells
etched plaque and 22ct gold

 26 Church Road has a 1500s timber frame of Sussex oak and a 1700s front. A brick chimney had a faggot oven in the cellar.

Retiring model

2009 Cyber Ceramic

 Lion & Unicorn Royal Arms, unchanged since Victoria acceded, 1837.

UK/Europe £79.50
Rest of World £69.13

Tunbridge Wells Wafers
Alfred Romary set up a bakery in 1862, with his family of ten living opposite! The first biscuits were his most famous. Made with butter they were rolled to wafer thinness by hand on marble tops, even after the advent of machinery. As the business grew, the faggot oven (like Sally Lunn’s) was replaced with gas ones. The bakery was finally closed by owners Rowntree in 1963. The last batch of wafers was baked in Glasgow for Charles and Diana’s wedding in 1981.

Click to add to basket

Victoria aged 57, two months before her visit to Romary’s. 
 The Pantiles are famous for spa water.
(Victorian) Pantiles on a Romary tin. 